Remediation of Contaminated Land Tax Relief

Land and property owners, including leases granted of at least seven years in length, or those with at least seven years left to run on an assigned lease, may claim this relief for expenditure incurred on removing or treating contaminants in the land or property, such as asbestos, radon and Japanese Knotweed, or for bringing land that has been derelict for a long time back into use.

What is RoCL?
Do I Qualify?
How Can we Help?
Heading photo
What is Remediation of Contaminated Land Tax Relief?

The relief is to encourage the use of brownfield sites and to allow additional relief for the costs incurred in dealing with harmful substances to make land and property safer for humans, animals or for the building itself.
The relief is available for those owning the land and property for their business, or property developers where the land is held as stock, but the relief cannot be claimed by the original polluter.
The relief provides an enhanced deduction for tax for certain qualifying costs, reducing a company’s tax bill or creating a cash receipt for loss making companies. A claim can be made within two years of the end of an Accounting Period.
Our team of experts are here to help you determine if you have unused allowances hiding in your commercial property – give us a call today on 01743 298980.

Want to work with us?

Not sure whether it applies to you? Check your eligibility now to find out.

Check your eligibility

Look through the answers to the most popular questions of our customers. Didn’t find what you need? Just send us a message and we will get in touch with you shortly.

Do I Qualify?

If you own a company that owns land or property, including leaseholders with a lease granted of at least seven years in length, or were assigned a lease with at least seven years left to run and the company has incurred costs to treat or remove contaminants, perhaps as a result of a survey, or the company is bringing long term derelict land back into use, then a claim is worth pursuing.
Irrespective of whether your company is currently making a profit or operating at a loss, a claim could still be possible. If you are still unsure whether you would be eligible for a claim or would like to discuss in more detail how this relates to your business please get in touch on 01743 298980.

What can I claim for?

Claim items include staff costs, materials and sub-contractor costs.

As a specialist RoCL firm, we have a detailed understanding of the tax legislation and will conduct a detailed review of the company’s activities with regard to its land and property to ensure that every opportunity for RoCL tax relief is identified.

What is HMRC’s role?

This relief was introduced by HMRC in 2001 and its remit extended to derelict land in 2009. It is aimed to encourage the development of brownfield sites and to clean up and make safe land and property polluted due to previous human activity such as mining, quarrying and property construction.

We will submit sufficient information to HMRC to allow them to understand the claim and process it as quickly as possible.

Are there any additional costs?

We charge no up-front costs, and should we fail to identify a claim then we will not charge you a fee at all. In other words, we operate on a ‘No Win, No Fee’ basis.

Also, we do not charge for submission fees so there will be no surprises when it comes to your claim being filed with HM Revenue and Customs. We also offer all clients 6-year report protection as part of our service.